Wednesday, April 29, 2015

April 24th & 26th, 2015

Hey there,

Friday the 24th. 

I had taken my son to town for groceries, but what I hadn't realized was that there was a rotating supercell headed for the same town. Now there was a tornado watch issued, but for some dull reason I didn't follow through to check the radar. 

As we got ready to check out we got the severe thunderstorm warning. And as we got outside the looming darkness was speeding our way. We ran to another store just in time for excessive wind and hail to come down. 

When all was said and done, and it was safe to drive again, we surveyed the damage. Whilst leaving the shopping center we saw a TIV (Tornado Intervept Vehicle). We also saw tress shattered and ripped from the ground, roots and all. Power lines had been bent to the ground and trash cans littered the street along with countless leaves and fast moving rivers of runoff. 

I later realized that the storm was a supercell that was falling apart. 80 mph winds, 1 3/4 hail, and flash flooding triggered by the water that poured from the sky. 




Sunday the 26th.

I've lived in this wonderful state for almost 6 years now. And in all that time, I've lived here I have never seen a day like this. 

Never. 

I always knew that where I lived was right at the end of what is considered 'Tornado Alley' but that was never an issue...until today. 

We were lucky enough to dodge the first couple of super cells. But as dusk drew near one finally headed this way. My father, having his degree in Meteorology, was there to catch any rotations before they were issued by our local forecasters. He's also taught me what to look for too. The one that was headed for us juked at the last second, but another one formed between my town and another one close by. 

I packed up 2 of my 3 cats (the third ran and hid) and took my son to my in-laws next door...where we sat in the bathroom while awaiting our fate. 

The storm must have formed a funnel cloud, because we heard a loud roar. But then the worst passed. And we once again remained unscathed. We ran home as it poured and continued to flood outside, but we were thankful for the safety God granted us. 






The storms devastated our surrounding communities with softball sized hail, damaged vehicles and houses, and certainly left us all in fear. But ultimately, it could have been worse if the tornados touched down in the right places. 



The supercell that loomed over Stephenville on the 26th...


Count your blessings,

C.Jackson


1 comment:

  1. That was a little too close for comfort! Glad you guys made it through ok!

    ReplyDelete